Field Crops & Handmowing
ENTRY DEADLINE: August 8, 2022 - Monday before the fair - ALL Products in by 12:00 Noon
- Limit one (1) entry per farm in each class. All entries must be produced on the exhibitor’s farm.
- Bring exhibits to the north end of the 4-H Exhibit Building on Monday morning between
8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon. This is the only time to enter. Judging begins at 1:00 p.m.
- Entries must be tagged using Field Days tags with name, farm name, address, crop class.
- Entries will be judged as follows: Blue-Excellent, Red-Good, White-Fair, Best of each Class and Best of Show.
- Premiums: Blue Ribbon-$15, Red-$10, White-$5. Best of class-$25, Best of Show-$50.
All Samples submitted will be judged on:
- Freedom from plant defects or contamination.
- Yield and crop quality potential.
- Proper maturity at harvest for storage.
- Proper moisture content for storage.
- Conformation of size and uniformity.
CLASSES - FIELD CROPS, FORAGE & GRAIN
- Corn Plants - 3 whole plants with roots.
- Soybeans - 10 plants with roots.
- Cereal Grains - 20 stems (wheat, barley, oat, rye)
- Corn Silage - 1 quart jar.
- Corn Snaplage or Ground ear corn - 1 quart.
- Grass Haylage - 1 quart jar.
- Legume Haylage (alfalfa, clover)- 1 quart jar.
- Baled/Wrapped Silage Hay
- 1st Cut Legume Hay (alfalfa, clover)- 1 slice of bale.
- 1st Cut Grass Hay - 1 slice of bale.
- 2nd Cut Legume Hay (alfalfa, clover)- 1 slice of bale.
- 2nd Cut Grass Hay - 1 slice of bale.
- Corn Grain Whole Kernal - 1 quart jar.
- Corn Grain Ground - 1 quart jar.
- Soybean Grain - 1 quart jar.
- Cereal Grain (wheat, barley, oat, rye) - 1 quart jar.
- Other Dry Grain (oilseed, buckwheat, other) - 1 quart jar.
HAND MOWING CONTEST
Entries accepted from anyone.
IMPORTANT - Please mail entries to Judd Markowski, 1724 East Street, Bridport, VT
This enables us to set up judging lists in advance and saves time. Include your
name, address, phone number, classes being entered. If need be, entries will be accepted
at the Site.
ENTRY FEES — there are none. Contestants will pay regular admission to the grounds.
Be sure to get a receipt and it will be refunded at the site.
PRIZES — Trophies for the first three placings in each class and ribbons to all contestants.
Contestants will furnish their own equipment and will be responsible for it, as well as for
all safety precautions.
Judging will be based on time, width of cut, evenness of stubble.
Decision of the judges is final.
- 15-foot strip – YOUTH (16 AND UNDER)
- 15-foot strip – WOMEN, ages 17 - 59
- 25-foot strip – MEN, ages 17 - 59
- 15-foot strip – SENIOR WOMEN, ages 60-79
- 25-foot strip – SENIOR MEN, ages 60-79
- 15-foot strip – ROGER SHATTUCK MEMORIAL (Ages 80+)
- 25-foot strip – OPEN TO ALL