4-H AND OTHER YOUTH SHEEP SHOW
RULES & AWARDS
ENTRY FEE: $2.00 per class
- Enter online at https://sites.google.com/site/acffdsheepshow/home. Deadline for entries is Saturday, July 30, 2022.
- Exhibitors must provide their own feed. Sawdust & straw provided.
- ALL sheep must be owned or leased by showing youth as of July 30.
- All animals must arrive on the grounds and be checked for health, registration and class entries
between noon and 9:00 p.m. on Monday before the fair. After check in, only scratches
can be made. Animals must remain in the grounds until 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 13. All animals must be removed by 10:00 a.m. Sunday. Exhibitors are
responsible for taking down and stacking their own pens and cleaning their area.
- BARN MEETING for all exhibitors, Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. in the show tent.
- HEALTH REGULATIONS — Same as Open Sheep Show.
- This show is open to youth 5-21 years of age (as of January 1)
(Exhibitors less than 9 years must have a parent at ringside.)
- All registered sheep must be registered in the name of the exhibitor or have a signed and
stamped lease form. Registration papers must be available at any time for inspection by
the Superintendents. 4-Her must have the approval forms at check in time to receive a
4-H clover for their exhibitor’s number.
- Breeds will be shown separately where numbers merit 5 exhibitors or 3 flocks enter will
determine if a breed has a separate class. If not, the breed may be combined into all
other breed classes at the discretion of the Sheep Superintendents.
- All sheep must have a scrapies ear tag.
- Exhibitors may show as many breeds and numbers of sheep as they can present according
to breed standard limited by the number of animals per class.
- All sheep must be presented appropriately according to breed.
- Only one entry per class per exhibitor, except Championship and flock classes.
- Novices must show on halter, optional for juniors, and seniors.
- Only exhibitors may work on their animals after arrival at the show. When working with
animals, apporiate footwear must be worn. All youth exhibitors must fit their animals
in the show ring. Youth exhibitors are expected to conduct themselves in a cooperative
and respectful manner. The Superintendents reserve the right to ask an exhibitor to
- A SHEPHERD’S AWARD consisting of a shepherd’s crook will be awarded to the most
outstanding shepherd to be chosen by ballot.
- SHEEP EXHIBITOR PERFORMANCE AWARD-This award will be given to outstanding junior
and senior youth who earns the most points overall. Open to all youth exhibitors.
Sponsored by Large Animal Medical Associates
- 10 pts. Sheep knowledge quiz
- 10 pts. Leadline
- 15 pts. Promotion contest
- 10 pts. Barn exhibit
- 10 pts. Exhibitor conduct & sportsmanship 10 pts. Record Book
- 15 pts. Barn inspections
- 10 pts. Showmanship placing
- 10 pts. Blocking & Fitting Contest
All premiums and awards will be presented at the Exhibitor’s Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on
August 13th. The Superintendent reserves the right to withhold any premium or award
to any exhibitor who has not adhered to these rules.
Sheep knowledge quiz for all youth exhibitors required. Novice, junior, intermediate and
senior division. General knowledge quiz will be given to youth exhibitors at Tuesdays
barn meeting at 6:00 p.m.
Daily barn inspections, details at barn meeting Tuesday night.
Sheep Project Record Book (optional) turned in at first barn meeting and will be
returned at Saturdays barn meeting.
EXHIBITOR AWARDS MEETING, Saturday, August 13th, 6:00 p.m.
Barn Exhibit: A sheep educational display exhibited at the pen. First, second and third
place prizes sponsored by Green Peppers.
- Fitting and Showmanship: Exhibitors are required to participate and must show their
own, or a leased, animal. Exhibitors MUST be neatly attired in white button shirt/blouse
and white, black, dark green or tan pants. This class will be divided into 4 groups: Senior
(age 18-21); Intermediate (age 13-17), Junior (age 9-12); Novice (1st year, 8yrs). A
PeeWee showmanship class for youth 5-7 years with a prize for each. A sheep blanket
will be awarded to each first place showman.
- Yearling Ram Class- (limited to youth 12 yrs of age and older-not to be shown in Fitting
and Showmanship.) 1 yr of age, but under 2 years
- Senior Ram Class — born on or after September 1, 2021 and before January 1, 2022
- Junior Ram Class — born on or after January 1, 2022
Aged Ewe—2 years and older
Yearling Ewe — 1 year of age, but under 2 years
Senior Ewe — born on or after September 1, 2021 and before January 1, 2022
Junior Ewe — born on or after January 1, 2022
Daughter/Dam-Aged ewe with her yearling, Senior or Junior ewe lamb.
Exhibitor’s Flock — group to consist of one (1) Ram Lamb and two (2) Ewes owned by
exhibitor and shown in classes.
Market Lamb — lamb must be slick shorn and may be divided into light and heavy weight
at the discretion of the judge. Lambs must be wethers or ewe lambs. A market lamb may
NOT be entered in classes 2-9, but can be shown in Fitting and Showmanship Class.
Best Fleece: One entry per exhibitor.
Rosettes will go to Grand Champion & Reserve Black & White Classes
PREMIUMS: $9.00 = Blue, $7.00 = Red, and $4.00 = White, for the following (*)